Churches might not call them “New Year’s Resolutions” but the process and challenges are similar. It’s a natural time for ministry staff and leadership groups to “rethink” who we are, where we are going, and what it will take to get there as a church.
Here are some of the questions we are asking?
- What does it mean to be a part (a member) of Mt. Carmel? What do we expect of one another?
- What do you and I do best? What are our strengths? How can each one of us use those gifts for God?
- How can our worship life become more passionate and authentic this year?
- Will we see more of our friends and neighbors come to know and follow Jesus this year?
- Will we see more in our church family join groups designed to help us live out our faith?
- Will this be the year that I really do it?
- Is this the year I say yes to God and mean it?
- Lose the weight?
- Get out of debt?
- Get more organized?
I was reminded of that simple truth this morning as I sat with a friend in my office talking about the church and our desire to see us become more “spiritually” authentic. He mentioned, in fact he had a copy in his pocket, the little book AS A MAN THINKETH, written by James Allen. Its message is pretty straightforward. You are where you are today because of the thoughts you have maintained up to this point in your life. “A man is literally what he thinks, his character being the complete sum of all his thoughts.” Immerse yourself in the right thoughts and you will become the person you long to be.
Setting your mind is not an easy task. It is much more than just thinking positively or even being self-disciplined. Setting your mind requires you to rally your entire being around what you are trying to achieve. You might say, “It’s a matter of heart.” To set your mind means to also align your heart. Your thoughts, attitude and assumptions must remain positive. In your heart, you must stay true to your values.
This year use your head and heart! There will be times when things go badly and uncertainty threatens to drag you down. You cannot lose heart and you must not lose your head to the negativity and distractions around you.
When your head and heart are aligned, your will and passion to succeed will empower you. If you care to share any of your goals or thoughts, please leave a comment.